We have had quite an adventure with potty training. We started over a year ago and got serious about six months ago. When we first began it was a novel experience, and it seemed that Madeline would be using the big girl potty within a few weeks. I will refer you to the wishful thinking in our January 16th post! Well... Madeline had other plans. She was quite capable and understood the purpose of the potty. Her problem (well ours really) is she just didn't really have an interest in using it.
So here we are today, and after trying stickers and bribes, and gummie bears and pleads and even one day time outs (I know), Madeline may (fingers crossed) be almost there. Here's what worked for us (or so I think.)
One, we had to realize that Madeline was going to do this on her time frame, not ours. Two, we bent many rules. I took the little potty out of the bathroom (gasp). I moved it into every room she was in and even outside. She went bare bottom at home for about a week and only very loose shorts when we were out of the house. I stopped asking altogether if she needed to go, except before leaving the house. Here's the last thing, and I think this was key. We got rid of diapers altogether! We told her she was a big girl and didn't need diapers anymore. That has meant no diapers at nap or even bedtime. She woke up wet a few nights and now amazingly so far wakes up once to go potty and for a week has woken up dry.
Jackson and I have learned some very valuable parenting lessons through this experience!